Thursday, March 20, 2014

Bloom Where You're Planted

I should be writing a Philosophy paper right now… but guess where I am… in my bed and warming up my writing brain by thinking out loud with you guys! Because according to my lovely blogging friends,  Heather and Amanda, that's what Thursdays are for!
It is also the first day of spring, my loves, so I wanted to share some beautiful pictures from my campus with you! Living in Portland truly means experiencing the seasons!


This is the quad and central part of my campus. Isn't it breathtaking?! I love it here so much, even if it does rain a lot. Because you know what rain means?.. Blooming! How does that saying go, April showers bring May flowers? And then mayflowers bring pilgrims? I sure hope our Mayflowers won't be bringing pilgrims. Unless they bring their Thanksgiving food with them ;) Let's get closer to those cherry blossoms...


Okay I'll admit I edited this one a bit whole lot. Nonetheless, look at those blossoms! They're so fluffy! "It's so fluffy I'm gonna die!" betcha you can't name that movie. Haha. Just kidding. I am sure you can.

The whole theme of "blooming" and "growing" during the Spring season is starting to translate from the flowers and trees to myself. I know, I know, it sounds so cliche. But true. Lately, I feel that I am becoming happier and more content with my being, my choices, my thoughts, my actions, my everything! I don't remember the last time I have felt this way since. Ever since my orthorexic thoughts took over it was hard for me to find time to enjoy my being, so I am absolutely loving it, and wanting to fight every day even harder. I shared a great article about intuition with a good friend, Kim, the other day. Talking a bit with her about intuition has helped me realize how far I have come with regards to accepting myself and my wants and needs compared to others. I guess that is what comes with aging, but I feel like I have progressed so much with that in the past year, especially with help from you all. If you have a few minutes, I really suggest reading that article. It is a fun, interesting, and reflective read.

One of the 10 things highly intuitive people do (found in the article) is that they practice mindfulness and this is a great way to tap into your intuition. I realized that I am very good at this, especially lately. As you may know, from my about me post, I started out as an engineering major. What was I thinking? I switched to undeclared. I thought that biology would be a good idea. So I am taking science-based classes this semester. And yes, they are very interesting and fascinating, but I still can't find a spark and true interest in them. I often find my mind wandering during those classes. 
Two days ago, I felt myself starting to wander and I stopped myself. I thought about what I was wandering about and realized something: I love to connect with people. I love to write. I love to take pictures. I am a creative thinker. I love to meet new people and communicate. I just am not dying to learn more about the inner-workings of cells and plants. Simple as that. I should not go into something I don't love and don't want to learn more about.

I met with my advisor next and told her all about my instagram and blog and what I have a passion for (i.e. health, wellness, effective communication, connecting, social media, etc.). She was intrigued by my instagram and was ready to offer so many ideas for possible majors and minors. The major I have decided on (after scrolling through pages and pages of class lists and descriptions) is in business with a marketing focus. I may even minor in global entrepreneurship or organizational communication. That will be decided later. I am so excited to see what the future holds in store for me.

I guess the point I am trying to get across with all of this is that sometimes we have to accept what we aren't interested in and chase what we are interested in. Even if it means not getting as much "material reward" (a higher paying job, wealthier friends, a bigger house, blah blah blah). The personal reward will always be greater. When it comes down to it, you're stuck with yourself and what you pursue daily. What you pursue should be what you love and have interest in or else, in my opinion, you will have a hard time finding motivation to continue each day and find love and passion in your actions.

Okay, ready, QUICK DANCE BREAK!


^^^currently my favorite feel good song. I hope you guys enjoy it as much as I do!

Now, two more things, then I'll leave you guys alone, I promise. First, the bad (but still good) news and then even better news.

Since I am at the University of Portland and it is a pretty hefty price to be here (although I do have a great scholarship), my parents have been forced to work overtime in order have enough money each month to pay for my education and room and board. We live in a pretty big house in Salt Lake City and it was great when both my brother and I were living there and going to public high school. Now that I am in Portland and my brother is at the University of Utah and living in a fraternity house, the house is too big for my parents and maintenance costs are quite high for a home they aren't dwelling in most of the day since they are working. So they have decided to downsize and move to a condo more towards downtown Salt Lake City. It will be sad not returning to my true home, but I am excited for them to get to live in a smaller and more intimate space, not have to work as much, and "bloom" and "grow" in this new part of Salt Lake.

Now the even better news!!! I got a wonderful package in the mail today from the folks over at Manbake


This company is incredible. I hadn't heard about them until a friend mentioned them a while back on instagram. I had been dying to try them for months! And I finally got my hands on some after talking with Seth from their company. At Manbake they create fresh and wholesome snacks (they are literally baked fresh for your order!) that are vegetarian, gluten-free, and carb-conscious. Their products are fit for an ideal healthy snack but also pack the protein and nutrients so they are perfect for right after a workout as well. Delicious, quick, and nutritious. 


They sent me a package of their carrot cake beefcakes that were to die for. I am not usually the one to choose carrot cake but I think my mind has changed after eating one of these. All I want is carrot cake now!… but in the form of beefcakes of course! Look at that ingredient list and nutritional information. Too flawless.

They also sent me their cookie butter.



Can you guess how it was? Marvelous! Duh! I opened the jar and about died. The smell, the texture, the glossy goodness! No spoon needed here! My finger was the only thing needed. I absolutely loved this cookie butter. It is not like the cookie butter from Trader Joes or that speculoos butter. It is so much butter better. TJ's cookie butter and Speculoos is a little too sweet in my opinion. I can only handle it in certain amounts and at certain times. But this cookie butter hit the nuttiness and sweetness factors perfectly. I almost dove into the jar head first… but soon realized my head is too big. I am worried this jar is going to run out quickly. However, I am looking forward for the morning I get to eat overnight oats out of it! 

Head over to the Manbake site and get yourself some nutritious goodies! It is worth the $!!! I promise!

But for now… I'll leave you with this cute picture.


If you need me, you can find me cuddling up with this cute little guy. Have a great Thursday and upcoming weekend!


What are you thinking out loud about today?

1 comment: