Saturday, March 29, 2014

Oats 'N Froth

If you have been following my instagram you know that I absolutely love oats. I eat them for breakfast every. single. day. They are quick, easy, delicious, filling, and so fun to make pretty! Recently I have been asked a lot of questions on how exactly I make my oats and the process of frothing my almond milk. So I have decided to make a little tutorial on how I make my oatmeal! I hope you all enjoy :)


First, I measure out 2/3 cups of old fashioned oats and add 1 1/2 cups of warm water. I let that sit for a bit while I get my coffee ready. Letting it sit helps the oats fluff up.

Then, I microwave that for 3 minutes, watching the bowl towards the end, in case they start overflowing. I think we all have experienced the tragedy when that happens!

After 3 minutes in the microwave, I stir in a packet of stevia. Then I open my extract drawer and it takes me about 2 minutes to decide what the heck flavor I want. Today I was feeling lemon-y sweetness so I used lemon extract, almond extract, and caramel extract. I never measure those. I typically just put a quick little splash of each in and then adjust to taste.


Once that is all mixed up, it's time to add fluffiness! To get the oats super fluffy I add 3 tablespoons of egg whites. Mix that up really well and then add in half of a sliced banana. I think putting the banana in makes the oats taste more sweet and cake-y. Then I stick the bowl in the microwave for 30 seconds, stir, and then stick it back in for another 30 seconds. At this point, the whites have fluffed up the oatmeal and the bananas are all gooey and delicious.


Next up is the protein powder. I always add 2 tablespoons of some sort of protein powder. Today I chose to use Cellucor's Red Velvet Cake Batter. That protein powder is my all time favorite right now and seriously goes with any flavor. Even lemon! I mix that all up and then….


IT'S TOPPING TIME! My toppings of choice today included: sliced banana (as always), blackberries, goji berries, mulberries, golden berries (which I have a newfound love for), MaraNatha Foods Maple Almond Butter, and…


The famous frothed almond milk! Now this is what I get questions about all the time. I'll break it down for you. Step 1) buy an Aerolatte hand frother. You will not regret it. Step 2) measure out 1/3 cup almond milk. Step 3) this is optional but I like to add a little sugar free torani coffee syrup to it to sweeten and flavor it up a little bit! My favorite? Sugar Free White Chocolate. Step 4) microwave for 30 seconds. Step 4) use that hand frother you bought and FROTH THAT SHIT almond milk!


I let my almond milk sit for a bit before I pour it. While I let it sit I start dressing my oatmeal. First up are the bananas.


And then the berries!


And finally the nut butter and almond milk!! I only pour on part of the 1/3 cup of almond milk that I frothed. The liquid-y almond milk goes in my coffee and the left-over fluffy frothiness goes on top!

And voila. You have Ali Oats!

What are your favorite oat toppings? What is your favorite nut butter?

No comments:

Post a Comment